Monday 9 May 2011

Wildfire in Sun City...

And the elephants were all singing to us...

Well, I've conferenced in some odd places before, but this has to be one of the most bizarre ever! Africa meets Las Vegas I think. After three mini-bus taxis (where I took the opportunity to interview the locals about the upcoming local elections in SA – apparently the choice is still perceived to be between the ANC or apartheid (even though everyone I spoke to agrees that the ANC leaves a lot to be desired, and the major opposition hardly seems apartheid to me) I finally walked in to Sun (or Sin, if you ask most South Africans) – much to the surprise of those on the gate: what, you came on the local taxis? And walked the last bit? Are you mad?! Though again, there are seats on the minibuses, no chickens and no more people than seats – what a civilised country! And it's an odd place...

I'm just back from a happy evening at the welcome event getting to know various folk and interrogating some more about burning places – all good background for the burn Serengeti campaign later on!

No comments:

Post a Comment